In a week we will begin the new school year and we hope everyone is ready!! The first day of school is Tuesday, August 28, 2018 and our school hours are still 8:45 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. The entire Woodley Hills staff is excited to welcome back the rest of our family! We are looking forward to continuing to provide all of our students with a rigorous learning environment where conversations and critical thinking are happening daily. We will push each child to reach his or her potential because we know that every student is capable. Please contact us if you have a question, concern or suggestion. We are here and want to work with all of our parents to provide the best experience that we can.
We have included some information below that we hope that you will find helpful!
See you soon!!! Sharon, Willisa and Theresa
This year we are trying something a little different and we will have our Kindergarten Open House/Orientation on a separate day from our 1st through 6th grade Open House. We will welcome our new kindergarten students on Thursday, August 23 from 3:00pm to 4:00pm. We will begin in the cafeteria and then parents and students will have an opportunity to visit the classrooms.
On Friday, August 24 we will welcome our family members in 1st through 6th grades from 10:00 am until 11:00am. This is a time for you and your child to meet the teacher and leave any supplies you may have purchased. There will not be a formal presentation so you may drop in anytime between 10:00am and 11:00am. Please know that we will not be opening the doors until 10:00 am so there is no need to arrive too early. You do not need to gather near the main doors because ALL doors will be opened and staff will be nearby to assist. Feel free to park on the blacktop but be sure not to block any cars.
STUDENT CLASS ASSIGNMENTS
Class lists will be posted near every entrance the day of Open House. You may also check your SIS Parent Account (Parent Vue) for the name of your child’s teacher on Thursday, August 23rd. You may find additional information at www.fcps.edu/resources/technology/student-information-system-sis-fcps/sis-parent-account-overview .
ARRIVAL and DISMISSAL
We know that the first day of school is exciting for everyone and we are aware that some parents will want to come in with his or her child and you are welcome. However, we ask that you allow your child to come to school the same way he or she will normally go home. This will make it less confusing for your child and assist the teacher in getting him or her to right location or bus at dismissal.
For the safety of our children parents may not drop off children in the side parking lot or on the sidewalk on Old Mt. Vernon Road. These are high traffic areas and bring potential risks that must be avoided. Anyone attempting to use these areas will be stopped by staff members.
- BUS - Prior to school starting, you will receive a letter with your child’s bus number, stop location and pick up time. During the first week of school, children should arrive at their assigned bus stop a few minutes early until the bus driver establishes a regular routine. It is very important that each student rides his or her ASSIGNED bus. If you feel you have a valid reason for your child to ride a different bus you must submit an exception to ride form. Children are not allowed to ride a different bus until permission has been received by the Transportation Office. Please be aware that we will be sending children home on the bus listed on the letter. If you do have concerns you can feel free to contact Transportation at 703-446-2150. We also need to remind you that FECEP and Kindergarten students are not allowed to walk home by themselves or with a sibling attending Woodley Hills. It is FCPS policy for our youngest students must be met by an adult or a responsible teenager in at least 7th grade.
- KISS and RIDE – For parents who are transporting their child(ren) to school, staff members will greet students at the “Kiss and Ride” door starting at 8:20 a.m., the doors will close at 8:45 a.m. and at that time you will need to take your child to the main office. The students should be seated in the passenger side of the car so that children are exiting the car onto the side walk. Please DO NOT attempt to park your car and walk up to the “Kiss and Ride” door because staff members will not release your child.
- WALKERS – If your child is assigned to a bus, please do not allow him or her to walk before checking with the office. Walkers should enter and exit only from the front of the building and they are expected to walk to and from school in pairs or groups whenever possible. Please make sure you have established and practiced a safe walking route with your child in our community before allowing your child to walk to and from school. We also encourage parents to have children check-in when they arrive home and have a plan just in case the child is unable to get in the house so that he/she is not waiting outside alone.
- BIKE RIDERS – Students who are in the walking area are allowed to ride their bikes to/from school. If you decide to allow your child to ride a bike, please review a safe bike route, ensure they wear a helmet, and know how to lock their bike on a bike rack. Our bike rack is located at the side of school near the tennis courts. Please know that the school is not responsible for bikes and any other equipment. Check out this resource for more information on bike safety: https://www.shapeamerica.org//publications/resources/teachingtools/qualitype/upload/bikeology-parent-guide.pdf
In order for our students to get the most out of their education they must be in school on time and here every day. The Commonwealth of Virginia has implemented mandatory school attendance laws that we are required to strictly enforce. According to the new laws, students should not miss more than five days during the school year whether it is considered excused or unexcused. The law is designed to hold parents accountable for students who do not attend school regularly and on time. If your child must be absent from school, you should always inform the school. The attendance line is 703-799-2020.
BREAKFAST and LUNCH
We will be participating in the Breakfast in the Classroom program again this year so all students have the option to eat a free breakfast. We have attached the lunch menu so that you may plan accordingly. Students may bring lunch from home or purchase the school lunch for $3.25. To pay for school lunch you can deposit money into your child’s lunch account by sending in cash or a check made out to Woodley Hills Food Services. You may also send in money daily with child. There is also an option to pay online at www.myschoolbucks.com. Breakfast and lunch menus are available online and can be reached at http://www.fcps.edu/fs/food/food_at_school/.
If you child received free or reduced price lunch last year, he or she will continue to be eligible until October but you must reapply for this school year. Pre-printed applications were sent to homes the beginning of August. The application should be completed as soon as possible so that your child does not have to pay full price. You may also renew or apply online at https://www.myschoolapps.com. Translated applications are available on the food service website https://www.fcps.edu/node/31049. If you need any assistance in filling out the necessary forms, please call 703-799-2000 and ask to speak to one of our parent liaisons.
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
- KINDERGARTEN ORIENTATION/BACK TO SCHOOL MEETING: Thursday, August 23 at 3:00 pm beginning in the Cafeteria
- 1st – 6th Grades OPEN HOUSE: Friday, August 24 at 10:00 am – 11:00am
- FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL: Tuesday, August 28 at 8:25 a.m.
- FAMILY PICNIC: Friday, September 7 at 5:30pm